Overall objective of the project is to
contribute on improving the development of tourism industry in the
Barents region. Specific objective is creation and initiation of
development mechanisms in long term public-private partnership for the
tourism industry on all stakeholders levels.
In practice it means developing cooperation models between Barents
region tourism stakeholders in order to achieve common goals. The
project aims to collect Barents region tourism stakeholders from the
different level: authorities, educational institution, businesses,
business supporting organizations. A result of the cooperation is an
Action Plan for Barents region tourism research and development based on
real needs of tourism stakeholders.
The project stakeholders will operate on three levels. First peer-review
group will be formed which will ensure the overall basis for the
implementation of the proposed action. Secondly, current tourism
development work and common issues will be identified through mapping
background of tourism development work in each region and surveying on
tourism projects in the Barents. Also, assessing tourism knowledge pool
in Barents region institutions and assessing of stakeholder needs and
expectations for tourism development in the Barents Region in order to
create a research and training Action plan for tourism development in
public-private partnership cooperation. Action plan will be made and
agreed on in order to secure sustainable development in the future.
Results on findings will be disseminated in the seminars where ideas for
new projects will be proposed and obtained information will be used in
the second phase of the project.
As a third step
the research cooperation will be activated through setting up
appropriate partnerships that represent the best expertise for the
research topics at hand. An important part of the set-up will be the
establishment of a public-private balance in research teams.
BART project is working closely with the Joint Working Group on Tourism
of Barents Euro-Arctic Region and acting as a practical tool for
implementation of the cooperation. JWGT will act as active participants
of the peer-review group to support the development of the Action Plan.
1. International core working team seminars where work is coordinated and further actions are planned. Results of the work so far disseminated.
2. Existing tourism development work (strategies and projects) mapped
3. Existing tourism business knowledge among stakeholders mapped
4. Needs for knowledge and tourism research assessed
5. Agreement on common research study topics to be conducted during the project.
6. Creating and agreeing on Action Plan for Barents tourism stakeholders to support the work of Barents joint Working Group on Tourism in order to ensure sustainable development in the future.
7. A pilot for developing Tourism Information Center in the Murmansk region is started and monitored during the project. Lessons learned from the pilot will be used when planning more TICs in the second phase of the project.
Budget and funding
BART - Public-Private Partnership project is funded by the Kolartic ENPI
CBC programme 2007-2013, economic and social development.
Implementation period is two years. Total budget is 921 525 €.